I have been quiet, shedding layers of time and memory and feeling rather retrospective. Memory is on my mind. Perhaps it is because we are touching the cusp of a big 20 year anniversary: 20 years ago this week Handsome and I started our journey together in Egypt. It started in Dahab, took a long bus journey to Cairo followed by an 18 hour train trip to Aswan and then onto a Feluca ( sail boat ride on the Nile.) Many planes, trains, automobiles, donkeys, snow sleds, jeeps and rickshaws later and here we are in a funny circle: back to the Arabian Sands. I was 22 and had no idea where my life would take me but we shared a love of adventure and we both embraced the new. If we were to write a bucket list back then it would have included a lot of travel, children, exciting jobs ( his an intrepid journalist and mine a writer and a drama therapist) a sejour in Italy, a parachute or two and some rather romantic notions. Well things often work out differently once life throws you a hoop or two and 20 years later we have done many things not even dreamed up on a bucket list and made a few new lists too.
I once had the good fortune to teach a highly talented girl, hungry for life and on the brink of many a success. She writes a lovely blog and recently wrote her bucket list. These are the dreams of a 19 year old girl, a young lady of fortune, talent and opportunity. Reading this list I was transported back in time to my own eyes-wide-open -with-wonder moments and I remember when I was 19 I longed for a magic crystal ball to tell me what my future would be and if it would all be okay. In the end it all turns out…as it does, whether we tick off our list or make new ones.
Here then is her list. I am awed by her choices, her dreams and the charm of her wishes. Can you remember yours? Is it very different now?
- Go to Venice- not only for Carnivale ( which is a must!) but to learn, to be inspired and to write.
- See the Northern Lights
- Go to Australia
- Decorate my very own apartment
- Celebrate each Carnival around the world
- Ride the Orient Express train through Europe
- Publish a best selling novel 😉
- Live in an apartment with my sister
- Get my British Citizenship
- Become fluent in a second language and then become fluent in a third language
- Learn how to play an instrument
- Meet my favourite author
- Create one work of art of which I am proud
- Do a night dive and a wreck dive
- Travel in Space
- Make a profit at a casino
- Sleep under the stars ( ignore the mosquitoes, the discomfort and all the monsters obviously hiding in the shadows.)
- Go on a road trip
- See my favourite musician perform live
- Found a charitable organization
- Travel to Antarctica and see the penguins
- Sponsor an endangered animal and travel to wherever it is in the world to meet it
- Sing Karaoke in front of a crowd and not be ashamed
- Make a positive difference; in one person’s life, in many people’s lives, in a town or a country or the world
- Be remembered for something great